Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My first NaNoWriMo.

The closest one goes to publishing their novel is when they complete writing it. The closest I went to publish mine was when I started writing it. It was on the 1st of November this year when I decided to be a part of NaNoWriMo. It took me a few years to decide which of the tales in my happening life I should use in my book. A fiction story that you write for the first time is always inspired by your real life, unless you start as a pro. So I kept searching for MY most spicy tale. I had a dozen options till 6pm of the first day of NaNoWriMo. Then I remembered that old saying about how a thousand mile long journey starts with the first step. So I started typing before I had my story in my mind. I kept deleting and re-typing the first couple of lines of my story for an hour when the bulb floating above my head flashed bright! I had finalized one spicy tale to reproduce! Yay!!

My new first line came into being. And then the second. They lived for a few minutes, till I decided that it wasn't framed well and rewrote them. When my day ended, I had two lines. Yes, still just two! The two final first lines of my story. I was happy that I had at least begun. I am so easy to please!! With 50,000 words to be completed in 30 days, each day should ideally end with 1667 new words. I had about 20 at the end of my first. Genius! I will write 2000 everyday, I told myself and slept happily.
Next day I did not sit to type my story. I only thought of it. And then I had a debate with myself about the choice of story I had made. My day ended with the same 20 words of 1st Nov. AND a new calculation!. 1072 words per day, starting Nov 3rd. Sounded fair.

The next 28 days were different. Because I had a new calculation each day and there were days when I didn't even bother to think of this project called NaNoWriMo or even about the fact that I am a blogger.

Finally, on 30th November, my National Novel Writing Month ended with a two lined super suspense novel.

At this rate, I should shift to writing those six-worded stories. My mind will do all the thinking, editing and rewriting. Mighty convenient! :D

1 comment:

Jack said...

Shruti,

You at least made a start, there are many who do not even do that. Best of luck next time. The post has a lot of wit and am sure you will one day write good story.

Take care